Thursday, April 18, 2019

Library Extension for Firefox and Chrome (You'll want this!)

I just discovered Library Extension for Firefox and Chrome, and it really is remarkable. Once you add the extension in either of the those browsers, an icon appears in the toolbar. Click it on to select your available public library and some educational institution ones. If your library system offers it, it will also allow you to connect to Hoopla and OverDrive.

Then, when you are looking for a book in places like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Goodreads or  Audible, Library Extension will automatically include information on its availability.

For example, I looked up Rasmussen's Zondervan Atlas of the Bible on Amazon, and the page looks like this:
As you can see, a new box has been added on the right telling me that it is available on Hoopla through my county library system. I click on the link, enter my library credentials, and I can start reading the atlas right away. That's pretty excellent. It even works for audiobooks, e.g.:
It's not a perfect system. Depending on which edition or version of a book you select, you will get different results. And your public library probably doesn't carry that technical volume on an advanced biblical topic. And sometimes, you really want to just buy the book and have your own copy!

In any case, this is a handy way to see if your local library has a book you can check out, and sometimes it is even available as an eBook or an audiobook. It's a great way to save some money!
HT: CNET

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this article makes me so glad I decided to follow this blog recently. I just happened to check The Old Reader today and saw this and am so happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible resource to have installed. I've always had to first check Amazon, then go and check the local library website. It's a pain. This is too simple.

    Only problem is my local library system is not included (of course). But, the town I work in (where I have an actual library card) is included. Plus, Overdrive is included, which I prefer anyway.

    Excellent tool. I've never seen it all of my add-on searches before. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete