Please see the UPDATED version of this post.
Everyone should really be using Unicode for Greek fonts now, but there are still a few publishers who request Greek be rendered in one of the older legacy fonts. You may also have some older documents with non-Unicode Greek fonts, and you want to convert them to Unicode. The problem with the older TrueType fonts (e.g., Sgreek, SPIonic, Graeca, etc.) is that they each have their own character encoding, so there is no single way to convert these fonts to Unicode. What's the solution? I have gathered all the Greek font converters of which I am aware. Many of them allow conversion to/from Unicode. Note that it is possible to convert from a legacy font to Unicode back to a different legacy font if necessary.
Also note that most of the converters are Microsoft Word macros or templates. If you try to convert a file that has footnotes with Greek, the footnotes might not get converted.
Let me know if I missed any.
Greek Transcoder (Word document template) - excellent, free converter; handles the following fonts
- Beta Code (Betaread)
- GreekKeys (Athenian, Bosporos, Kadmos, Xanthippe)
- LaserGreek (GraecaII, GraecaUBS, GreekSansII, GreekSansLS, Hellenica, Odyssea _/F/UBS, Payne, Payne Condensed, SymbolGreekII, UncialII)
- Paulina Greek
- SGreek (SGRead, SGreek, SgreekFixed)
- SPIonic (SPIonic, Tadzoatrekei, Takeros, Talaurinos)
- SuperGreek (Achille, Graeca, GreekSans, SSuperGreek, SuperGreek, SymbolGreek, UncialLS)
- Vilnius University (Anacreon, Attica, Corinthus, Corinthus Lector, Grecs du roi, Greek Old Face V, Greek Grotesque, Hellenica, Hierapolis, Milan Greek V, Odyssea)
- WinGreek and Son of WinGreek (Aisa, Angaros, Athenian, Grammata, Grecs du roi WG, Greek, Greek Garamond, Greek Old Face _/C, Korinthus, Milan Greek, Standard Greek)
Galaxie BibleScript (Word macro/template)
- Use the Windows Installer to Galaxie Greek/Hebrew fonts and Word template
- Involves a two-step process converting legacy fonts to Galaxie fonts and then to Unicode
- Greek fonts handled: Alexandria, Koine, Gideon, Mounce, Bwgrkl, SymbolGreekP, Graeca, WinGreek, GraecaII, SuperGreek, Sgreek (also Hebraica/II, Bwhebb, SuperHebrew, Shebrew)
- Look for the Word macro on this forum thread. (An alternative macro here.)
- There is also a Unicode > bwgrkl posted here.
- Bibloi 8.0 includes a Unicode Type Assistant for Sgreek ><>
- IPA93 legacy fonts (Doulos, Sophia, Manuscript) ><>
- Check here
- GreekKeys (Athenian, Attika, Sparta, Salamis)
- Bosporus(GreekKeys format)
- Kadmos (GreekKeys format)
- ISO 8859-7 (Modern Greek)
- Beta Code
- > Unicode, Beta Code, GreekKeys, WinGreek
Multikey (Word macro)
- Logos Gramma
- WP Greek Century
- WP GreekTimes Ancient