Thursday, November 12, 2009

Logos 4 Content Comparison to Logos 3

I've been working through some of the new features of Logos4, and I have pulled together a listing of resources that are new to Logos4 that are pertinent for biblical studies research. I am primarily approaching this as a New Testament scholar interested in original language resources and also English translations. I also have a interest in maps and images related to the biblical texts. I teach at a seminary, and my choices reflect my work and the kind of work I anticipate my students needing to be able to do.

I have recommended to my students to start with the Original Languages library, and, if they can afford it, to get the Gold library. Those are the best packages from a biblical studies perspective. My review is somewhat lengthy, so it is best viewed as this PDF file with links. I have listed new resources for each library and provide my subjective comments on their value.
I also provide some evaluations about upgrading your library from Original Languages > Gold > Platinum > Portfolio.

I do especially want to indicate one easily overlooked improvement that Logos has made. (I've been critical of them in the past on this matter, so I need to give credit now.) Rahlf’s Septuagint with Logos Morphology (2 Vols.) is not listed as a new resource, but this is a very important update. The morphological coding in the Logos3 Rahlf's Septuagint had serious problems that rendered it completely unreliable for exegetical work. Some quick checking indicates that the problems have been corrected with this edition using Logos Morphology. [UPDATE in light of Comments: Note that the following texts are in a separate resource, "Septuagint with Logos Morphology (Alternate Texts)": Joshua (text family A), Judges (text family B), Tobit (text family BA), Susanna (Old Greek text family), Daniel (Old Greek text family ), and Bel (Old Greek text family). I suppose the trick is to make a collection so you can search both the standard and alternate texts at the same time.]

If you just want my bottom line, here it is:


CONCLUSIONS – Getting the Logos3 > Logos4 Crossgrade:
Logos 4 is still getting everything together (cf. Missing Features), and this short analysis has a very limited scope of considering only content from a biblical resources perspective. The $70 minimal crossgrade is going to get you a lot of additional functionality, and that alone may be worth the cost (and it does include iPhone access).

  • If you have the Original Languages library, the minimal crossgrade gets you most of what you want.The only substantial additions are the Reverse Interlinears, and those may or may not be useful to you.
  • If you have the Gold library, you do get quite a few additional, excellent resources that will make the true crossgrade very attractive.
BOTTOM LINE: Go to your account in Logos.com to check what your crossgrade or upgrade prices are and use this listing as a guide for evaluating biblical resources.

Again, here is the PDF file with links.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark. You write:

    The only limitation at this time (and one I suspect will be corrected eventually) is that the new LXX text is lacking the following texts included in Rahlfs: Joshua (text family A readings lacking), Judges (text family B readings lacking), Tobit (text family BA readings lacking), Susanna (Old Greek text family readings lacking), Daniel (Old Greek text family readings lacking), and Bel (Old Greek text family readings lacking).

    Actually, it is just in a separate resource. They used to be tabled next to each other, but this caused several reference navigation problems. Now there is an "alternate texts" resource that has these extras in it: "Septuagint with Logos Morphology (Alternate Texts)". Also, our in-progress LXX Interlinear will have interlinear content for these portions.

    The morphology is in good shape, but we're still working on it and hope to make it even better over the next year.

    Rick Brannan
    Logos Bible Software

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think part of the confusion is that the Alternate Texts as well as Swete are both listed under "Ancient Texts in Translation" rather than in "Greek texts."

    Swete also isn't yet complete, but it's getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I found it helpfull. I do think you should consider the value of the baker nt commentaries and pillar nt commentaries in your assesment of the value of the platinum package. Also the full crossgrade for the gold gets you six more volumes of the NAC.

    ReplyDelete