Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tyndale Toolbar for Bibles and much more

David Instone-Brewer at Tyndale House just sent out his latest bulletin which can be viewed on his blog. He announces the availability of the free Tyndale Toolbar for Bibles, Languages, Bibliography, & News. I'm not a big fan of toolbars taking up space, but I think I will be keeping this one. It does have just about everything biblical scholars would appreciate having at their fingertips. (Actually, it has way more than is needed, but the toolbar is customizable to remove some of the gadgets like weather, app links, etc.) You really have to play around with it to see all the lexicons, search tools, bibliographic resources, Bible links, etc. it offers. For now, it only works in Firefox and IE (and not for Mac). BTW, it is not immediately obvious, but click on the toolbar graphic at the top of his blog page to get to the download directions.

3 comments:

  1. Something like this would proably be better served as a browser extension rather than a toolbar. Aspects such as highlighting then tagging/context clicking/etc. would be better served. Granted, its a lot more work to develop an an extension, but it would be something a bit less intrusive for all users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I am liking this toolbar, it is kind of getting in the way to my links bar. I'm not sure what you mean by an "extension." I guess I would like to see something more along the lines of http://www.poodwaddle.com/. That is, take everything on the toolbar and put it all on a page where I can move stuff around and edit it the way I like. I would then have all these great Bible resources together on a page when I want it rather than always sitting there on my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Browser extensions actually build functionality into the browser as a whole, in many cases more than a toolbar. For this to be really effective, having the ability to highlight and right click to get a context specific menu towards what you want to do with the content would be better. And then like you say afterwards, have a page where you can categorize adn collect that information would make this of best use for all parties.

    ReplyDelete