Monday, June 30, 2008

Evernote 3.0

I've previously mentioned Microsoft's OneNote as a catchall, note-taking tool (especially in making notes on Bible readings), but if you are looking for a free alternative, consider Evernote.
Evernote allows you to easily capture information in any environment using whatever device or platform you find most convenient, and makes this information accessible and searchable at any time, from anywhere.
That is, you can capture text, images, web pages, photos from your cell phone or other camera, and then have the items analyzed for text, and then indexed, and then available on a web account. Here's there overview video:

Available for Windows XP/Vista/Mobile and Mac. There is a FREE 40Mb version, and a more robust $45/year version.
HT: Webware

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that more and more people seem to trust online services that hold their private data. Perhaps this is the wave of the future, but not me. That said, Evernote is a good program and does what it is designed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I remain a bit suspicious.
    1) Until we have Internet access anywhere/anytime, I would rather carry my stuff around with me.
    2) OTOH, I am more and more counting on the 'cloud' to help me keep synchronized between a variety of computers, both other personal ones as well as public ones.
    3) AND I do like the idea of having things available on platforms where I cannot really run the program. I.e., accessing my data via WindowsMobile/Smartphone sort of devices.
    4) AND I do like the cloud for collaborative work.
    5) AND I like using Web 2.0 sort of stuff to gain access to programs, e.g., Bible study software, that would otherwise be unavailable.
    6) AND I do use the web to back up some of my data. (And I use encryption if there is anything private before I upload.)
    7) BUT I sure don't like leaving my personal work online, for privacy, security, and availability reasons.

    ReplyDelete