Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Firefox 3 - Getting stuff organized - Add-ons

Iyov shared some of the ways he has customized his Firefox (and I picked up a couple good ones from his list), and since we now have Firefox 3, I thought I would do the same. In this post, I will show you how I have simplified my web work a bit by the use of Firefox addons. You can click on the graphic above to see the addons I use more clearly, but I will highlight a few of them below.

BTW, to get addons, you can use Tools > Add-ons, and it will bring up a dialogue box. Click on the "Get Add-ons" tab, and from there you can search for something specific, look at recommended add-ons, or browse them all. To see the add-ons you already have, click on the "Extensions" tab. (Yeah, that is confusing and inconsistent terminology.) Alternatively, you can download/install add-ons from the Firefox site or click on the links I provide.
  • Book Burro - Has saved me money by looking for books I'm wanting to buy on other sites
  • Download Statusbar - Helps manage downloads
  • FireFTP - A FTP client that works in Firefox
  • Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer - Keeps my bookmarks available anywhere and consistent across multiple computers
  • IE Tab - Some pages simply don't display correctly in Firefox. This one allows you to open up a page in Internet Explorer or simply change that tab to render with IE.
  • Image Zoom - A quick and easy way to enlarge graphics and pictures on web pages - Note: you may not need this in Firefox 3 with its Page Zoom feature. Use CTRL (or CMD) + or - to resize text and pictures of whole page (CTRL and mouse wheel also works)
  • OpenSearchFox - I will say more about this in the next post. There are a ton of search engine plugins for Firefox, but this one is a great way to add the search engine plugins you specifically want. Seems to have disappeared from the Mozilla site, but get it here.
  • PicLens - Fun and attractive way to view pictures on the web or on your computer
  • Resizeable Textarea - Have you tried to add a comment to a Blogger post, and the window comes up too small and can't be resized. This fixes that problem.
  • Resurrect Pages - A great way to find pages that have disappeared using a variety of archiving engines
  • Taboo - What I am now using to keep track of bunches of web pages that I open but will get around to reading later on
  • Tab Mix Plus - Really helps in tab management; the close active tab button on the right alone is essential for me (TMP was not initially ready to go w/ Firefox 3 but now is)
  • Tyndale Toolbar for Bibles - More info here. I don't always have the toolbar active, but it is handy to have.
  • Undo Closed Tabs Button - You accidentally close the wrong tab. This makes it one-click easy to get it back.
  • Vertov and Zotero - I've talked quite a bit about these.

4 comments:

  1. How does one know how add-ons affect the performance of Firefox? It would only seem natural that more add-ons correspond to more RAM consumption (a fact which sadly still must be taken into consideration even on my desktop) or bandwidth consumption? For instance I know that Forecast Fox slows down internet traffic. I read on Iyov's blog that the Google Toolbar is also known for this. Is there a point where the law of diminishing returns comes into play and more is not better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Michael. I'm in pretty good shape memory-wise w/ my computers, so I haven't worried about it too much, but I suspect that you are correct that add-ons might slow down performance. That's why I don't use themes which seem to take up more memory too. (The new Firefox 3 default is more attractive in my opinion and quite functional.) I also do watch the size of the add-ons. The biggest one by far is Zotero, but that's one I won't omit.
    Maybe someone else knows more about add-on/performance issues, but in the meantime, you can always save a little by using semi-colons instead of colons!(From an old Dilbert cartoon...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was just wondering if you could confirm that in your experience Zotero works with Firefox 3. I just don't want to upgrade and then not have the plug in work.

    THANKS SO MUCH.

    Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Ariel.
    Zotero works fine in Firefox 3!
    (I am using version 1.0.6.r2979)

    ReplyDelete